Friday, June 17, 2011

Norway, the last bit and piece.

  • Pub (Friday night)

    We assembled an impromptu 'women in math' gathering at the suggestion of one of the speakers at the conference/workshop.

    There were about 10-12 of us who went along. We went to the one bar in town, Strandstryken (beach something?). There was a choice of two beers, the ever-present local beer (Hansa), for 69 NOK (~$13.5 USD) or an irish red for 72 NOK. I opted to splurge for the slightly more expensive one for a little variety.

    Conversation included making a list of full professors in homotopy theory who are women, in the US and in Europe. The French from Nice came in to the bar, one 'hiding' in his leather jacket and exageratedly sneaking past us to the back of the bar.


  • Hiking at night (Tuesday night)

    I ended up going on a hike with a professor who was going to leave the
    conference early. There was plenty of light at 21:00 when we started, and I finally got back to the 'bungalow' at midnight.

    Brightly lit nighttime hike:
    From Hike at
    night


    It was the mountain that I had missed the hike for, or the one adjacent. The thick coniferous forest blocked some of the light, which was already a bit less plentiful than normal due to clouds and fog. The path was very wet, muddy and slippery. We crossed a creek and a point where the path had become a little stream itself (which thankfully didn't persist). We spent the time talking about applications of my thesis results, which was challenging while also looking for sure footing.

    The lake (Osvatnet) atop the mountain was mainly obscured by fog:
    From Hike at
    night

    Most of the way back to the start of the trail, I mis-stepped and slid down the trail a bit, getting my pantleg coated in mud. That was the point I decided that I had to do some laundry, which was rather straightforward once someone explained the settings. The dryer was a 'condensation' dryer. This meant that you had to empty out this giant container of water before every usage. There was also ample space to hang up clothes to line dry and a blower/fan to help aid in this.


  • Nordfjordeid to Bergen I have a small album of pictures of the bus/ferry ride back to Bergen, here.

    The bus left at way-too-early o'clock. Bright and sunny already, 6:15am.

    The mountains and fjord as we bussed along:
    From Travel from
    Nordfjordeid

    We stopped several times because of various people getting motion sick. I sat in the front of the bus, and stared straight ahead, and was fine.

    Because pictures were hard to take on the bus, I took a small movie:
    From Travel from Nordfjordeid

    Views from the second ferry:
    From Travel from Nordfjordeid


    From Travel from Nordfjordeid

  • Bergen and on
    We got to town early, so I hung around in Bergen again, this time with some Belgian group-theory PhD students, and one of the speakers from the conference who was full of infectious optimism and good cheer. There were stops for espresso, a meandering walk through town, and a visit to the Bergen Kunstmuseum (art museum), which was kind of 'eh', at least the part of it that we saw.

    I really enjoyed the toilet signs at the Bergen airport:
    From Travel from Nordfjordeid

No comments:

Post a Comment