Yesterday, I took the train from Berlin to Hamburg and Hamburg to Copenhagen. I was going to stop in Hamburg and look at an apartment that I am likely to sublet for the month of March (through a friend of a friend), but due to some problems, our train took ~ 4 hrs instead of 1hr 40min to get to Hamburg, which meant I had only enough time to fill out some paperwork with Deutsche Bahn to get some kind of refund, buy some food, and get on the next train.
The train to Copenhagen was delightfully punctual, by contrast. The fastest train (which I was on) takes 4 hrs and 45 minutes. Also! It boards a ferry. The train. And then picks up again on the other side. You're required to get off the train during transit, so I went up and bought a bottle of water and a Rittersport with chocolate over a butter biscuit.
Random fact: This route between Hamburg and Copenhagen is called the Vögelfluglinie, i.e. the train line that goes as the bird flies. I know this because I've been watching ''Wer wird Millionär?"(German version of ''Who wants to be a Millionaire?")
I brought maybe 70% of my belongings with me and left the rest with my friend in Berlin who I was staying with and who has graciously agreed to let me store the rest.
As a result, I had my pack (this sort of thing)with some things strapped to it, my 24'' suitcase at maybe 60lbs, and my carryon bag also at max capacity. I'm sure I was a bit of a sight, and was definitely glad at what help I got entering and exiting various trains. I did not have the foresight to take a picture, but I promise one when I go to Hamburg. You can then all marvel at my packmule-ishness.
I kind of regretted my packing decisions when I reached my friend Daniela's apartment (I stayed with her last night, and got my apartment here today). It's on the 4th floor OG., i.e. above the ground level. If you start counting at 1 instead of 0, then it's the 5th floor. That was…well. I earned the chocolate I ate earlier :).
I made it today in to the department, met people, got various keys, and my office. I include a picture of my view. My office number is 3.14. :)
I would say today is honestly the first day it has really sunk in that I've moved to Europe, during my walk to the grocery store.
I actually had a sort of surreal, magical walk to the store. En route, I crossed a plaza, near the Strøget, which is major pedestrian-only shopping area in the city center. I live around the corner. There was a group of musicians, with keyboard and violin, playing a waltz (and quite well). I took a little video to prove that I'm not making this up. :) I expected to see tango dancers materializing from thin air, but no such luck.
The streets are so quaint and clean. It's hard for me to tell which are pedestrian-only, since the sidewalks and streets blend together. There are probably signs, which I don't understand.
In other news, my stovetop appears to be broken. I ventured out to a different store (a Netto, this time) to grab some rapeseed oil so that I could bake dinner instead of frying it, as the oven works.
For shopping and generally getting around, knowing German helps out.
Examples:
Danish: Torsk German: Dorsch (English: Cod)
Danish: Grønkål German: Grünkohl (English?: it's like very young, very curly kale?)
Danish: Rosenkål German: Rosenkohl (English: Brussel Sprouts)
Danish: Blomkål German: Blumenkohl (English: Cauliflower)
Danish: Ingefær German: Ingwer (English: Ginger)
I've included a picture. This all ran me about 250 dkk, which is a bit less than 50 USD (conversion is about 5.5 dkk to 1 USD, 7.5 dkk to 1 euro). What I got:
Müsli (750g)
Bag of apples
Bag of frozen Grünkohl
4 frozen Cod fillets
500 g Brussel sprouts
Ginger
2kg Yoghurt
1 dozen eggs
1kg rice (could only find parboiled)
lemon juice
1 head of Broccoli
~400kg dried chickpeas
lotion
I did feel kind of like I am some how research the lives of Homo Europeans or such with my logging and cataloging-type photo. I remember seeing a picture (probably in National Geographic) of the week's worth of groceries for families of different countries and different sizes, and how much it cost, and thought it was pretty neat.
[A few Copenhagen pictures, and the aforementioned movie.]
[A few Copenhagen pictures, and the aforementioned movie.]


Aw, this post reminds me of a similar one I did when I first got to Dresden (complete with photo from first grocery trip!): http://fraudoktordoctor.blogspot.com/2010/10/food-culture-schock.html
ReplyDeleteI also took the Vögelfluglinie, but in the other direction. I thought the ferry was pretty cool. In terms of trains in Germany, though, what I realized is that they are great for short- to medium-length trips, but that they are invariably delayed when you have to go more than about two hours. Although--how long is between Berlin and Hamburg? Better to fly across the country (ie. Dresden-Frankfurt). But...maybe not with all that luggage. Been there, sweated through it! :) (That was me in Poland last August.)
It *is* quite a feeling to realize you've just moved to Europe. Congratulations! I can't wait to read more about your adventures. I liked Copenhagen well enough, though I was only there about 5 days. Too bad you probably won't be there while anything is green or blooming.